Date(s) - 20/05/2015
1:00 pm - 4:30 pm
ETLC 2-005 University of Alberta
Image Analysis with Matlab
Instructors: Denise Thornton and Dr. Jon Johansson, Videre Analytics Ltd.
Description: This workshop presents principles and methods for analyzing images, including those from x-rays, photographs and tomography. The discussion will focus on using the image processing tool box in Matlab, but the concepts apply to image processing and analysis tools from other packages.
- Matlab interface components
- check Matlab version, loaded toolboxes and workspace
- variable types
- how to use basic functions in Matlab
- create and run a m-file (script) file
- working with arrays
The bulk of the time will be spent working with a variety of image manipulation techniques, such as thresholding, masking, as well as the basics of working with histograms.
- the main example will be finding the percent of porosity in the particle
- how to work with histograms
- mask files
- binary operations
- morphological operations (erode, dilate, open and close etc)
- discussion of extending the analysis to 3D data sets
Some programming experience is recommended for this course.
Who should attend? Researchers with an interest in both data analysis and image analysis.
The venue is a computer lab and the machines are powerful enough to do the exercises. You are welcome to bring your own laptop and use it for the exercises. If you are bringing your own laptop you will need to have Matlab and the Image Processing Toolbox installed, and you will need to have a UofA CCID to access the lab machines and the campus network.
If you have questions, or need to cancel your registration, please email us at Videre Analytics Training <firstname.lastname@example.org>.
Matlab Workshop Poster and Brochure are available for download:
This event is fully booked.